Sokoine University of Agriculture

Perfomance of new released upland nerica rice varieties under different combined rates of nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizers in Zanzibar

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Haji, K. B.
dc.date.accessioned 2017-06-09T16:34:19Z
dc.date.available 2017-06-09T16:34:19Z
dc.date.issued 2016
dc.identifier.uri http://www.suaire.suanet.ac.tz:8080/xmlui/handle/123456789/1571
dc.description A DISSERTATION SUBMITTED IN PARTIAL FULFILMENT OF THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DEGREE OF MASTER OF SCIENCE IN CROP SCIENCE OF SOKOINE UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE. MOROGORO, TANZANIA. en_US
dc.description.abstract Rice, (Oryza sativa) accounts for more than 50% of the staples consumed in Zanzibar. However, only 20% of the annual demand is produced whereas the remaining 80% being imported. Adoption of improved varieties and better soil management practices may increase rice productivity. An experiment was conducted at Mchangamdogo village, Wete district, during the 2012 rice-growing season to test newly released high fertilizer responsive NERICA varieties and different fertilizers rates that can maximize yield. A Randomised Complete Block Design in a factorial arrangement was used to test the varieties and the fertilizer rates in three replications. NERICA 1, 10 and 12 released by Kizimbani Research Institute and Machuwa local variety were used. Urea (46%N) at 0, 40, 80 and 120 kg N ha-1 and TSP (46%P2O5) at 0, 30 and 50 kg P ha-1 were used as Nitrogen and Phosphorus sources respectively. Growth and yield parameters measured were plant height, panicles per square metre, 50% heading, 80% maturity, biomass, harvest index, panicle length, spikelets per panicle, filled grains per panicle, 1000-grain weight and grain yield. Statistical analysis showed NERICA to be significantly (P≤0.001) superior to Machuwa local variety in all parameters except for plant height. Significant differences were observed among different nitrogen-phosphorus fertility levels. Application of 40 kg N + 30 kg P and 80 kg N + 50 kg P ha-1 was the best for grain yield, 1000-grain weight, panicle length and grains per panicle for NERICA varieties. Interaction effects were highly significant (P≤0.001) at NERICA 12 x 40 kg N + 30 kg P and 80 kg N + 50 kg P ha-1. Therefore, NERICA 12 and 10 can substitute Machuwa local, similarly combination of 40 kg N + 30 kg P ha-1 or 80 kg N + 50 kg P ha-1 was recommended for NERICA varieties in Zanzibar. en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.publisher Sokoine University of Agriculture en_US
dc.subject Soil management practices en_US
dc.subject Rice productivity en_US
dc.subject Rice-growing season en_US
dc.subject Oryza sativa en_US
dc.subject NERICA varieties en_US
dc.subject Fertilizers rates en_US
dc.title Perfomance of new released upland nerica rice varieties under different combined rates of nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizers in Zanzibar en_US
dc.type Thesis en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search SUA IR


Advanced Search

Browse

My Account

Statistics